Kit Log #034: Improved timing needed

Kit Log #034: Improved timing needed

Currently at step #70 / 155 for the operator interface kit. The next kit log will make more progress on this, as mentioned in the previous kit log. But first, to make more productive progress, a better plan will be needed. If the progress continues at the rate of today’s kit log, it will be very slow. A better plan about timing will help the amount of progress.

Kit Log #033: Headway on written descriptions

Kit Log #033: Headway on written descriptions

There was decent headway today on the written descriptions and parts paragraphs. The parts paragraphs is what goes above the start of the table on each page, essentially to give an overview.

  • Super bright lights: completed steps and parts paragraphs. Final number of steps is 86 (and deleted 22 steps)
  • Power pack: completed parts paragraphs
  • Operator interface: still in progress, this one is massive. Started with 180 steps, now there is 159. Am currently at step #51
  • Wheel kit: this is next after operator interface

Once these are complete, there will be a minor modification needed for the python script. This is because the brain kit instructions did not have the image url in the cell, just the portion of the filename. It will be fine, a do-able modification.

The hope for the next kit log is to have operator interface and wheel kit written descriptions complete. Let’s see how far it can get.

Kit Log #032: 78/95 for power pack kit

Kit Log #032: 78/95 for power pack kit

Some more progress on the power pack kit step written descriptions today. We were able to trim a few of the steps. There are only a few more steps remaining for this one,  and will be completed after this update goes live.

Next kit log will be to continue the progress with the other three remaining kits.

Update: power pack kit written descriptions complete, 91/91. The overviews of each part need to be written next.

Kit Log #031: Steps sorted, and partial power pack progress

Kit Log #031: Steps sorted, and partial power pack progress

Today we made partial progress on all of the instructions. The power pack instructions in google sheets was updated to the proper parts – the last of the transportation from google docs. Then, the process began of going through each of the kits and finding where each part started and stopped, then going through and listing out the step numbers. Once this was complete, the written descriptions could be started for the power pack kit.

Starting the writing for the power pack kit revealed that the diagram was missing the labels for the lengths that the wires have to be cut. So, this had to be edited. Once that edit was done, the instructions were updated to include reference to the wire label.

The power pack kit progress remains at the start of part 4. #35/102. The next kit log will continue on this progress.

Kit Log #030: Nav menu and some words

Kit Log #030: Nav menu and some words

Today we made the navigation menu to display the pages in the proper order, and we can choose which pages. We also worked on organizing the parts to the corresponding photo #’s. For super bright lights, operator interface, and wheel kit, this all was simple. However, the power pack kit was put into parts via letter, so it is more cumbersome to match them to the photo #’s. It’s been a learning experience to see the best ways on how to organise everything.

The next kit log will hopefully have additional progress on the written descriptions.

Kit Log #029: Brain kit csv to tables

Kit Log #029: Brain kit csv to tables

This is one of those updates where a lot of the previous effort starts to look like it is starting to come to fruition. Today we did the manual work of moving the descriptions from google docs to sheets for the brain kit. However, before jumping in to the next step, first we had to do some edits that we stumbled across that were not complete. In total, there were 24 edits that had to be made.

After that, export as csv and write the python script to translate that into the html for the tables. A couple of tweaks were needed, then it was ready. Exported all of the text files for each separate part, then copy and pasted them into wordpress pages. What a treat to finally see this (almost) live! See it for yourself here. (And the other pages in the navigation bar.)

A few more additions are necessary, such as the descriptions for each part, as well as buttons to advance or go to the previous page. The dropdown menu orders the list 1. 10. 11. 2., so not sure how to fix that apart from putting z in front of 10 and 11.

The next steps will be to continue the written descriptions for kit log. Power pack is the next one in line.