The Bowie Brain is a friendly microcontroller kit for intermediate robots, animatronics, and automation projects.
Follow along with our instructions to solder your own robot brain, and get started with our example code. The kit is compatible with Arduino, so you can leverage the entire community of existing code that’s available. There are plenty of connections for inputs and outputs to control actuators, indicators, read sensors, GPS, mesh communication, and more.
Skill level: Intermediate. Please note that there is soldering involved with this kit.
What’s included in the kit?
- Necessary resistors, diodes, LEDs
- Teensy 3.6
- Two current sensors
- Motor driver
- 3.3V voltage regulator, speaker
- Barrier block and screw terminals
- Connectors for the motors
- 3V coincell battery for RTC
- 3D printed enclosure
- Necessary fasteners
- * Note: The XBee is not included in this kit
Tools required (not included)
- Soldering iron
- Solder (your choice – lead free or leaded)
- Third hand tool
- Desolder wick braid, or desoldering tool (just in case there are mistakes along the way)
- Diagonal cutters
- Painters tape
- Screwdriver with bit kit
Brought to you by the team that developed Bowie the robot for cleaning plastic from shorelines at Robot Missions. Use this brain kit to embed into your own environmental robot!
Check out Robot Missions in action:
Watch a Bowie robot brain surgery to see what you could do with your kit: