Tonight the groups continued on the progress. The pan-tilt servo connections were added to the Bowie brain board. The pan-tilt mechanism was assembled. Test code was written to make sure the pan-tilt works. Beck added the motor wires to the brain kit. It’s interesting to see how less dusty / sandy the brain is when new.
Tonight the uOttawa group tested the IR camera. They connected it to the Raspberry Pi, and took pictures with it using raspistill. The test images were showing some objects with the overhead lights on and off. The IR leds that are beside the camera do a good job at illuminating the objects when the overhead lights are off. This progress showed that the IR images can be captured, and the next step is to pass them to Tensorflow for object detection. Beck added the headers to the Teensy 3.6 and inserted it in to the Bowie Brain.
We met with some of the Master’s engineering design group again. Tonight, they performed benchmark analysis on Bowie the robot. We also discussed in depth the tradeoff predicament version 1.0 of the robot is at with regards to the power of the motors. It was great that they were attentive and understood. We watched some of the videos of the testing of the robot in Summer 2018 to analyse some of the timing of the turns and going forward. At the end, we went through the photos of all 23 iterations of the robot. This was the last piece of project management work – next week is design time!
We met with the University of Ottawa Master’s Engineering Design project team tonight, where we showed them a tour of the Prototyping Lab at Bayview Yards and discussed their project plan. We tried to determine what resources we might need for achieving all aspects of the project plan.
The group is super curious about the robot, and robotics in general. Their module will be useful, to see if IR light is useful in detecting plastics. It will be interesting to try it both in the day, and at night.
We received info from the Master’s engineering design team about their project plan. Their project plan is very focused, which is good to hopefully provide a useful result. As well, it contains a stretch goal. Later this week, we will have a chance to meet and discuss what resources will be needed.
Here is some info from their plan:
Our project would be divided into 3 parts, 2 fundamental parts and 1 advanced part
1. Mechanical design of the mechanical structure (Pan-Tilt Mount) – Fundamental
Object: This pan-tilt mount should be able support 360 version of camera
2. Environment configuration of robot vision system – Fundamental
Object: Installing tensorflow on Raspberry Pi, connecting Raspberry Pi and IR camera. After
configuration, the picture captured by IR camera should be able displayed in tensorflow on Raspberry Pi
3. Object detection and recognition based on IR image – Advanced
Object: Designing object detection and recognition algorithm based on IR image using Tensorflow
We look forward to working with them and for developing a new Bowie module. More to come later in the week!