Kit Log #037: Last modified

Kit Log #037: Last modified

Today’s kit log has progress scattered in various bits all over the place. There was progress made on starting a new python script that takes both the steps and parts (aka, sections) and will eventually export the html for the pages. We found the first “bug” in the instructions. Bowie brain kit part 9 step 23 has a duplicate image, it should be image z7-2, not z7-1. Being able to be at the point where we can find these bugs is pretty cool, finally.

We also made progress on the ‘last modified’ date that will get updated on each page. This was annoying because we tried various plugins, but they would bork the backend, so we had to try different ways, but then someone on a forum pointed us in a way to make that not happen, and finally the original way worked. It took a bit more time than expected to make ‘last modified’ work.

Additionally, we made progress on moving some of the 3D printed pieces instructions over to google sheets format. It looks like we will use google sheets as the master version, as it is easily editable, and then use the python script to transfer that to the format for the pages. Maybe one day we can make it auto update or something! The next kit log will continue the progress on the script, so that we can start putting up the pages.

Kit Log #036: All kit steps complete!!

Kit Log #036: All kit steps complete!!

Woohoo! All of the kit steps are complete! Today, completed the wheel kit written descriptions and parts. This concludes that phase of the written documentation. Now we can start to look forward to some beta testing on the electronics!

Additionally, today we looked at css for buttons, which will go at the bottom of each page to go forwards and backwards to the subsequent part. The test buttons are implemented on this page here.

The next kit log we will be able to adjust the python script as needed. It will be great to have it set up so that it can output each part as an entire page, with the buttons too, to just paste into wordpress.

All this said, it’s just the conclusion of one phase. There is still additional written work to be done, this would be for the CAD images documentation. All the CAD model images are done – for each step. They are also annotated (circles where the screws insert etc). The good news is that now that we have a process – between the google sheets and python scripts – it might be a bit faster. We’ll see.

Huzzah! That part is complete! Finally!

Kit Log #035: Op interface steps complete

Kit Log #035: Op interface steps complete

The operator interface written descriptions for the steps and the parts is now complete. The end result was 120 steps total, and 11 parts.

The remaining kit for the written descriptions is the wheel kit. This will be next, then the python script work can happen to prepare all the instructions to be on the website. We are getting closer, kitlog by kitlog.

Kit Log #034: Improved timing needed

Kit Log #034: Improved timing needed

Currently at step #70 / 155 for the operator interface kit. The next kit log will make more progress on this, as mentioned in the previous kit log. But first, to make more productive progress, a better plan will be needed. If the progress continues at the rate of today’s kit log, it will be very slow. A better plan about timing will help the amount of progress.

Kit Log #033: Headway on written descriptions

Kit Log #033: Headway on written descriptions

There was decent headway today on the written descriptions and parts paragraphs. The parts paragraphs is what goes above the start of the table on each page, essentially to give an overview.

  • Super bright lights: completed steps and parts paragraphs. Final number of steps is 86 (and deleted 22 steps)
  • Power pack: completed parts paragraphs
  • Operator interface: still in progress, this one is massive. Started with 180 steps, now there is 159. Am currently at step #51
  • Wheel kit: this is next after operator interface

Once these are complete, there will be a minor modification needed for the python script. This is because the brain kit instructions did not have the image url in the cell, just the portion of the filename. It will be fine, a do-able modification.

The hope for the next kit log is to have operator interface and wheel kit written descriptions complete. Let’s see how far it can get.